Knowledge Partners


 Basiz Fund Service    Economic Laws Practice    Avalon Consulting  

 Spark Capital    Tatva Legal   

June 10, 2005

Ray Lane interview in BusinessWeek

BusinessWeek has an interview with KPCB partner and former Oracle executive Ray Lane.
I was always afraid I was entering into a new business, a new career -- venture capital. Well, I have no desire to learn venture capital. But I found that the entrepreneurs weren't looking for venture capitalists. They're looking for venture capital money, but they're looking for people who have operating experience. So I wondered, "Can I really do this business?" Well, yeah, I can, because that's what they really want: Someone who has experience and the contacts and all of that. So yeah, I like it.

...Q: You mention ego, and I imagine there's a good deal of that being a partner at Kleiner Perkins, too. Would you have joined any other venture firm?

A: No.

Q: Why not?
A: John [Doerr], it's really John. If John weren't here, I'd seriously think about something else to do. [Doerr is a Kleiner Perkins general partner, who funded Sun Microsystems and Amazon, among other companies.] What I want to do now is: I want to have a Google. Virsa is a candidate. Visible Path is a candidate. I have about three or four candidates. I have some that never will be candidates. I want them to have a good transition to something, but it will not be a big, important billion-dollar company. I know that already.


Arun Natarajan is the Editor of TSJ Media, which tracks venture capital activity in India and Indian-founded companies worldwide. View sample issues of TSJ Media's Venture Intelligence India newsletters and reports.